Devices and pathways
Devices switch pathways, allowing you to change the power in the pathways connected by the device. Often these devices are very carefully engineered, requiring detailed knowledge beyond the principles outlined in this episode.
The power in one pathway is switched to power in another by a device
Here is a summary of the devices introduced, listed with the switching for which they were designed:
- Light bulb: electrical working switched to heating by radiation (visible radiations only – that is, the range of frequencies we're interested in).
- Heater: electrical working switched to heating by particles or, for radiant heaters, heating by radiation.
- Motor: electrical working switched to mechanical working.
- Transformer: electrical working to electrical working.
- Generator: mechanical working switched to electrical working.