Diagnostic questions on parallel circuits
What the activity is for
The diagnostic questions can be used to check the pupils' understanding of key ideas introduced in this episode.
What to prepare
- printed copies of these questions
What happens during this activity
The questions might be used for homework or as the basis for discussion in class.
Same circuit? question is designed to probe pupils' ability to recognise equivalent ways of drawing a circuit with two parallel branches.
In fact, all of the circuit diagrams are correct representations.
Identical resistors question probes understanding about the relative sizes of the electric current at different points in a parallel circuit.
- The current at c is the same size as the current at b.
- The current at d is the same size as the current at b.
- The current at a is bigger than the current at b.
- The current at e is the same size as the current at a.
Ammeter readings question probes whether pupils can apply their understanding of electric current to a parallel circuit.
Circuit b: A1 is 0.5 ampere; A3 is 0.3 ampere.