There's a good chance you could improve your teaching if you were to:
- emphasise that energy is essentially quantitative
- talk and act as if energy is a constraint on possibilities, not a cause of a process
- work with a clear ontology
- keeping power and energy separate
Work through the Physics Narrative to find these lines of thinking worked out and then look in the Teaching Approaches for some examples of activities.
- allowing an endless list of kinds of energy
- using energy as cause
These difficulties are distilled from: the research findings; the practice of well-connected teachers with expertise; issues intrinsic to representing the physics well.
This appears as En01TL as En01TLnugget06 in the full materials.